WelcomeWelcome to the Pillows.com Pillow Talk Blog! Here, you will find blog posts written by our staff about sleep facts, designer tips, traveling, bedding info, and so much more!
Blog sign up
Monthly Archives: May 2013
This week we are featuring Thom Filicia, a wonderful designer with a taste for sophistication with a modern twist. Thom Filicia has earned widespread acclaim and has styled homes for celebrities as well as big names in the world of finance, media and hospitality, among others. His New-American Style manages to blend modern looks with classic features in a way that creates a fashionable, inviting aesthetic. Thom’s looks are stunning and have earned him countless accolades in the world of design and has launched him to interior-design stardom
After a very successful run with his own New York City-based design firm, Thom Filicia Inc. which he opened in 1998, Thom was cast for Bravo’s new show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in 2003. The basis of the show was to help straight men learn to improve different areas of their lives, i.e. the way that they dress, food and wine knowledge, grooming practices and Thom’s specialty of course, interior design. The show went on to win an Emmy and Thom’s design acumen and warm personality earned him a huge following. He went on to design and guest star on multiple TV shows including The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, to name a few.
These design endorsements greatly contributed to his already diverse portfolio which includes designing for first-class hotels around the world. Thom Filicia also embraced eco-friendly design and incorporated this sustainable practice in one of his most noted projects, designing the Riverhouse, Manhattan’s first premium LEED-certified green luxury condo. This won him a coveted merit award by Interior Design Magazine for the “Best Eco-Residential Design Interior.”
Thom Felicia’s stunning aesthetic has won him numerous awards as well as love from both designers and consumers alike. His flair for modern sophistication, and his mission to design for the way we live now, is what launched him to designer super stardom. Thom continues to create spectacular designs around the world that are sure to continue his legacy as one of the biggest designers of modern times.
Thom Filicia products available on PacificPillows.com
It’s been a long day at the office, and you just want to get home and enjoy the rest of the evening, unfortunately, when you arrive home, the house is a mess, the kids are fighting, and dinner hasn’t even been started. Today is one of those days where you just need some time for yourself. Your bedroom is your sanctuary, the one place where you can shut your door and forget about the insanity for a little while, but what goes in to making one’s bedroom a sanctuary? I’ve found some great little tips to help make your bedroom a little slice of heaven.
Pick soothing colors and hues: Colors play a major role in our lives. Everything from our clothes to walls is in color. Your bedroom is no exception; everything from the furniture down to the bedding is in one color or another. Picking warm and cool colors helps relax the body by lowering ones heart rate, but also bringing a Zen like feeling to the room. There are hundreds of color combinations that you can do, but my personal favorite is an aqua blue and chocolate brown combination. This color combination works great because not only do you have the chocolate brown as a base color but the blue adds just enough of a pop to make it interesting. Another thing you can do, which is currently very popular is one room with different shades of one color, and then an accent color (for example: doing shades of purple, with a warm rich mahogany or oak as an accent.)
Photo credit: Kohls.com and purplebedding.org
Cleanliness: My mother always said cleanliness was next to godliness, and I have to say she was pretty much spot on. By keeping your bedroom clean, not only are you eliminating the possibility of bugs or other creatures entering into your sanctuary, but when you have people over, you will be more than willing to give them a grand tour. Cleanliness helps if you have to get up in the middle of the night, because you won’t trip or step on anything.
Invest in bedding: Humans spend approximately one-third of our lives sleeping, that’s 33 years! In order to enjoy those 33 years, you have to invest in great bedding. There is a lot of bedding out there; it’s going to depend on what type of bedding you like (i.e., whether you want a duvet cover or a comforter, sheets or blankets, etc.) My favorite type of bedding is my comforter with a blanket, sheets, and lots of pillows! A great type of sheet is a jersey knit sheet (Check out the US Polo Association Jersey Sheets). The same soft jersey knit material that most of your favorite tees are made from, make up these sheets. Soft and breezy, but yet outrageously comfortable, they are great for relaxing in bed. Pillows are another great piece to invest in. Pillows give you something to rest your head on at the end of the day when you are just done. An excellent pillow will have enough support to keep your head elevated, while being soft enough for you to get a good night’s rest.
Photo Credit: Pacificpillows.com
Lighting and More: Lighting is key to making your room the sanctuary you have always wanted it to be. Candles are a great way to give your bedroom a little light, and they also have great scent benefits as well. If you are not into candles or have animals (I have two cats, so candles are an absolute no no.), I would recommend a flameless candle. A flameless candle will give you the same ambiance but without the actual flame. As for the scent factor, you can invest in a scented reed diffuser. Reed diffusers are great because you can leave them alone and they will release fragrance without anyone knowing, plus they make a great decorative accent.
Photo credit: herbsandoilsworld.com and houzz.com
Everything is now done, the kids are in bed, the house is somewhat clean, and dinner is done. You can finally head to your sanctuary and just relax because tomorrow it starts all over again. There are so many ways to make your bedroom a sanctuary, so much so that we would be here all day if I were to write them. I have given you the ones that I feel are the most important. Feel free to visit Pacificpillows.com to see a large selection of pillows and more!
Have a fabulous day, and remember to take some time for yourself now and then!
Blog Author: Christina, Product Editor
Traveling is so much fun, especially when you are with your loved ones. Everyone knows that with all these new rules in place, it can be pretty challenging to get everything ready for your trip. However for the frequent traveler it is easier because they are constantly going in and out of airports. My best friend is one of these frequent travelers and I always have such a hard time trying to figure out what to buy her for her birthday and Christmas. Thankfully there are multiple gifts you can give them, but I have chosen my top 5 favorite gifts that are perfect for the frequent traveler in your life.
- The Apple IPod/IPad: Now I know what most of you are thinking, why on earth would I buy an IPod or IPad, they are super expensive. While yes they are expensive they are perfect for the frequent traveler, they are small, convenient, and of course help pass the time (especially if you don’t like who you are sitting next to). These little beauties range anywhere from $50 for the IPod Shuffle to $800 for the 64 GB IPad and can be bought at www.apple.com or any major electronics retailer.
2. Boarding Pass Holder: A boarding pass holder is perfect because it gives you the ability to show all your necessary documents without having to dig through your carry on, because there is always that one person (it’s usually me) that has to dig through everything to find their boarding pass. A place for your ID and Passport make it easy to go right through security. These are $10 (such an awesome deal!) from www.travelonbags.com and come in a variety of colors and patterns, for every taste.
3. A neck pillow, eye mask, and blanket: When most of us are traveling, we sometimes forget that we are going to be on a plane sitting for an extended period of time, and we want to be comfortable (we all know those airplane seats are not the most comfortable). A neck pillow will give your neck the perfect support so that you don’t get a crick in your neck. A blanket is a great gift option! Airplanes tend to be a little colder because of the pressurized air in the cabin. An eye mask is perfect for those travelers who fly the overnight flights, allowing them to get some shut eye (I love mine, and I don’t even travel that much!). This Nap Gift Set for Travel from www.brookstone.com is $64.98 comes with all three.
4. A luggage scale: A luggage scale is an absolute must for any frequent traveler! The airlines a few years ago came up with the brilliant (not really!) idea that in if we charge for checked bags over a certain weight, we can offset our fuel costs. This did not boast well for the American travelers (How am I going to get all my shoes in my bag?). By having a luggage scale you can avoid paying the fees associated with your suitcase being over the recommended weight! This Balanzza Ergo Scale (I love the green color!) is $24.95 from www.balanzzastore.com.
5. A unique luggage tag: Everyone knows that baggage claim is quite a pain. All the suitcases look exactly the same. Aside from completely purchasing a brand new luggage set (they are just so gosh darn expensive!). A luggage tag can take care of this. They come in different designs and colors making them a great addition to any bland/boring suitcase. These are great for if your luggage mysteriously disappears. This coated canvas luggage tag with a colorful mosaic design is from www.tepperjacksononline.com, and goes for $19.50 (I love the colors and price!).
There are numerous gifts that you can get a frequent traveler, but you must also remember that each person has their own unique style. I think I may have finally figured out what to get my friend for her next birthday. Hope everyone has a wonderful day, and don’t forget to drop by PacificPillows.com for all your needs!! Happy Gift Hunting!
Blog Author: Christina, Product Editor